California Abortion Statistics
State abortion statistics from the leading public and private sources.
Collective state abortion statistics are gathered privately by the Guttmacher Institute and federally by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Because of reporting lag, their most recent data is often 2-3 years old. In most cases, state-level abortion facts are more current than the numbers reported by Guttmacher or the CDC. Guttmacher’s abortion statistics are estimates built on surveys of all known and suspected abortion providers; the CDC totals are made up of the actual abortion counts reported to the state health department by each abortion facility.
To read abortion stories from California, visit: Abortion Stories (California)
Estimated Total Abortions (2017): 132,680
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that approximately 132,680 abortions took place in California during 2017. This number includes abortions performed on out-of-state residents but does not include abortions performed on California residents in other states. The table below compares California abortion totals by selected year.
Estimated Abortion Percentage (2017): 22.0%
In 2017, an estimated 22.0% of pregnancies in California ended in abortion. This number does not take into account miscarriages. It was arrived at by dividing Guttmacher's abortion estimate by the sum total of live births (471,658)—as reported by the CDC—and estimated abortions.
Estimated Abortion Rate* (2017): 16.4
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that the 2017 abortion rate for California was 16.4. The 2017 abortion rate across the entire United States was 13.5. The table below compares California abortion rates by selected year.
*The abortion rate is the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years.
Percentage of All U.S. Abortions (2017): 15.4%
In 2017, approximately 15.4% of all U.S. abortions occurred in California.
Facilities That Perform Abortions (2014): 512
In 2017, the Guttmacher Institute reports that there were 161 abortion providers in California. The table below compares total California abortion facilities by selected year.
State Abortion Restrictions (2019):
California does not have any state-level abortion restrictions—such as waiting periods, mandated parental involvement or limitations on publicly-funded abortions.
California did not provide state abortion data to the Centers for Disease Control for the last reporting period.
- State Abortion Statistics: Comparative state abortion stats by rank, total, percentage, and clinics.
- U.S. Abortion Statistics: Facts and figures relating to the frequency of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion Law: An overview of the history and legality of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion History: The 200-year history of abortion in America goes back well before 1973.
For Further Study:
- The Remarkably High Cost of Cheap Sex (Abort73 Blog)
- Does Poverty Lead to Abortion, or Does Abortion Lead to Poverty? (Abort73 Blog)
- The Law Can’t Make Abortion Safe; Birth Control Can’t Make Abortion Rare (Abort73 Blog)
- It’s All the Same: Why Early and Late-Term Abortion are Moral Equivalents (Abort73 Blog)
- The Moral Dilemma of Repeat Abortion (Abort73 Blog)
- Who is Most at Risk to Have an Abortion? (Abort73 Blog)
- Marriage, Contraception, and Unplanned Pregnancy (Abort73 Blog)