Maryland Abortion Statistics
State abortion statistics from the leading public and private sources.
Collective state abortion statistics are gathered privately by the Guttmacher Institute and federally by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Because of reporting lag, their most recent data is generally 2-3 years old. In most cases, state-level abortion facts are more current than the numbers reported by Guttmacher or the CDC. Guttmacher’s abortion statistics are estimates built on surveys of all known and suspected abortion providers. For 2014, 58% of queried providers responded to their information request. Abortion totals were estimated for the 42% of abortion providers who did not respond.
To read abortion stories from Maryland, visit: Abortion Stories (Maryland)
Maryland did not provide state abortion data to the Centers for Disease Control for the last reporting period.
Estimated Total Abortions (2014): 28,140
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that approximately 28,140 abortions took place in Maryland during 2014. In 2011, an estimated 34,260 abortions occured—compared with an estimated 34,290 in 2008 and 37,590 in 2005.
Estimated Abortion Percentage (2014): 28%
In 2014, an estimated 28% of pregnancies in Maryland ended in abortion. This number does not take into account miscarriages. It was arrived at by dividing Guttmacher's abortion estimate by the sum total of live births (73,921)—as reported by the CDC—and estimated abortions.
Estimated Abortion Rate* (2014): 23.4
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that the 2014 abortion rate for Maryland was 23.4. In 2011, the abortion rate in Maryland was 28.6. It was 29 in 2008, 31.5 in 2005, and 29.0 in 2000. The 2014 abortion rate across the entire United States was 14.6.
*The abortion rate is the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years.
Percentage of All U.S. Abortions (2014): 3%
In 2014, approximately 3% of all U.S. abortions occurred in Maryland.
Facilities That Perform Abortions (2014): 41
In 2014, the Guttmacher Institute reports that there were 41 abortion providers in Maryland. There were 34 providers in 2011, 34 providers in 2008, 41 providers in 2005, and 42 providers in 2000.
State Abortion Restrictions (2016):
- The parent of a minor must be notified before an abortion can take place.
- State Abortion Statistics: Comparative state abortion stats by rank, total, percentage, and clinics.
- U.S. Abortion Statistics: Facts and figures relating to the frequency of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion Law: An overview of the history and legality of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion History: The 200-year history of abortion in America goes back well before 1973.
For Further Study:
- The Remarkably High Cost of Cheap Sex (Abort73 Blog)
- Does Poverty Lead to Abortion, or Does Abortion Lead to Poverty? (Abort73 Blog)
- The Law Can’t Make Abortion Safe; Birth Control Can’t Make Abortion Rare (Abort73 Blog)
- It’s All the Same: Why Early and Late-Term Abortion are Moral Equivalents (Abort73 Blog)
- The Moral Dilemma of Repeat Abortion (Abort73 Blog)
- Who is Most at Risk to Have an Abortion? (Abort73 Blog)
- Marriage, Contraception, and Unplanned Pregnancy (Abort73 Blog)